Thursday, February 10, 2011

Surgery

Feb 10th  I meet with my surgeon on Monday.  We will be discussing when I will be having the surgery.  My last chemo is on Wednesday so I guess we're getting our ducks in a row.  Dr Whitaker informed Dan & I that his recommendation is to have a double mastectomy and lymph nodes removed.  Hmmm, well that wasn't in the game plan at the beginning of this marathon.  Okay, so we'll deal with it.  I asked the doc about reconstruction, in his normal upbeat tone, oh he said, the surgeon will remove them and the plastic surgeon will do the new ones at the same time.  Great!  only one surgery.  Well, during my chemo Dr Whitaker came back to talk with Dan and I again.  He and the other team of doctors have decided that we shouldn't do the reconstruction immediately.  We should wait approximately 6 months to a year.  The decision is all based on my recovery, radiation therapy etc. 
So let's see,  no hair, no eyebrows, no eyelashes and no finger nails.  Now no boobs?  Well, I do have a few eyelashes, just not bottom lashes.   Everyone that thinks I'm going to look like something out of a sci fi novel raise their hands.  Wait, what is the name of that cat that's hairless?  Can you say "scary"

4 comments:

  1. You have gotten so much information and had so many changes. Somehow you keep it straight and keep your positive outlook. I love you! You are beautiful with or without hair, eyebrows, lashes, and nails. I wish you didn't lose any of them. I know you are ready to look like you did before you began your marathon. I am ready for you to be back at your desk, smiling and laughing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see! And I see one of the strongest women I have ever met. You amaze me and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tina, you are one of the strongest women I know. Just think honey, you won't have to worry with them damn bra straps for a while.

    I love you,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and you are a ~BeautyFull~ You are loved for who you are. You are a bright light!

    Love & Hugs

    ReplyDelete