Thursday, June 2, 2011

What's normal?

June 2nd  Today is the last day of my "normal" radiation treatments.  Starting tomorrow I begin something called boosters.  It's a little more intensive and aim directly on my mastectomy scar.  According to my doctor, breast cancer has a higher chance of reoccuring in the scar area, so they do 5 treatments directly to the scar.  Hopefully, this will ward off any chance of the cancer coming back. 
My bloodcounts have been coming back a little low the last 3 weeks.   I think it's so funny that my WBC & platelets were within normal limits all during my chemo but now....At this time they aren't really concerned about them but the doc said that if they drop much lower I will need to wear a mask out in public.  Dr Price said that this could be a side effect of the radiation hitting the sternum.  Apparently, the sternum is a big enough producer of bone marrow that it can make a difference in my blood count.  I've lost a little weight so for right now my bones are not hidden very well by fat and this means they are getting the full strenth of radiation.  I'm sure once I get back to work by bones will be covered by lots of fat.  We love to eat at work :)  Well, when I'm "normal" I just love to eat. 

1 comment:

  1. I am really looking forward to you coming back to work! I will bring you lots of yummy snacks and treats when you get here!

    Love & Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete