Monday, April 25, 2011

A new look....again

April 22nd  I had an appointment today at the hospital. This appointment is to measure me for the radiation treatments.  The radiologist uses a machine that is called a simulator.  It "simulates" my treatment, whatever that means.  The machine looked like a CT scanner to me.  It simulates where the doctor will actually be doing the radiation treatment on my body.  They want to try NOT to hit any of my organs during the laser treatments, at least as much as possible.  The doctors have already given me a list of the long term side effects and several of my organs will be affected, at least a little,  the bottom of my left lung, the top of my heart, possibly my stomach and thyroid??? Are we surprised by this,  NO!!!  This entire cancer issue has been a list of side effects.  Well, if they happen I will deal with them then.
So.... while I'm laying in the simulator the doctor uses a permanent magic marker to draw lines up and down my chest.  Yes, just a regular old marker.  Between the scars and marker I look like a road map.  Of course she couldn't use just a black marker, I have black, blue and green :) Very colorful.  She then says, "don't wash these lines off, no soap or lotions in that area".  Okay, this is my armpit area we are talking about.  No soap and no shaving,  so stinky and hairy.  Just the look I was going for, like a flower child from the 60's.  hahaha  No hair with chemo, and unruly hair with radiation.  I am just ever changing.  When I turned 49 this year I had said I wanted to change my look, this was a little more changing than I had meant however :)
I am going to have 33 treatments.  I think this will put me toward the first of June when I finish.  It seems that I may be coming to the end of this ordeal.  A new life just in time for summer.... I'm ready.

3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you and sending my love.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Sweetie! We'll take you stinky and colorful any old day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patti,
    You are doing great!! Hang in there honey!!
    Love you,

    ReplyDelete