Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Dr Whitaker

November 1st.  Today I meet the doctor that will be in charge of my chemo.  His office is in the Indiana Cancer Center at the Hancock Regional Hospital.  Everyone is really nice.  The one thing that Dan & I have noticed is all the medical professionals that we have been dealing with are extremely nice and are willing to help in any way they can.
Dr Whitaker said that the knot is bigger than they first thought.  It's a little under 2 inches.  If they do a lumpectomy they would need to take most of my breast.  He will talk to Dr Cam but he advises to do Chemo first then surgery.  Hopefully chemo will reduce the size.   He confirms that the lymph nodes are affected and recommends removing 10-20 nodes during the surgery.  I think it sounds like a lot but hey whatever it takes right?  Chemo scheduled for next Wednesday.  I have several tests that still need to be ran... bone scan, breast mri, some kind of heart test.  I can never remember the name of the heart test, it sounds like a dogs name.  LOL.  I'll let you know when I remember. Oh yea and I will need to have a port put in.  This will save me from having to have a lot of IV's started.  The nurse called and scheduled all of the test for this Thursday.  Wow, things move fast.  I guess it's a good thing.  No waiting around.  All of this is going on and I haven't even told Luke yet.  He'll be home in about a week.  I was waiting until closer to the time he came home so he wouldn't be worried and far from home.  He was a big help when my mom was so sick, I know he'll be a big help with me.    Dan told Mike for me.  All of you that know Michael know how laid back he is.  He doesn't let a lot get to him and if he does he doesn't show it.  I'm so glad his graduation was last weekend before all of this craziness started.

No comments:

Post a Comment