Friday, November 5, 2010

Life's a Whirlwind

Nov. 4th  Let's just say as far as whirl winds go today was definitely one.  Started off at 10am with my first test at Community North, Breast MRI.  What a funny machine this is.  I have always hated MRI's because you go head first into the machine so I feel very clausterphobic.  The one I had today was a little better because you head into the contraption feet first.  All seems good at this point until they tell me to lay on my stomach, arms above my head and get this....position my breast in the holes that are in the table.  It all sounds easy enough except that the holes, just let me say, are QUITE a bit bigger than I need..  Now as most of you know I haven't gone thru puberty yet so my breast are on the small side LOL.  I felt like I was going to fall thru the gigantic holes.  I had to hold on for dear life :)  Well not really but you can imagine. 
I'm sure most of you have probably had an MRI so you know it's extremely loud.  The tech gives you headphones with music,  but the dang machine is so loud you can't really hear the music.  They gave me some kind of contrast thru an IV about 1/2 way thru,  of course it made me nauseated.  It's the Allen curse, everything makes us sick to our stomachs.  All of you Allens out there know what I'm talking about. 
After this test they took me to another part of the hospital for a CAT scan.  More contrast injected.  :(  Oh yea, did I mention that the MRI tech took out the IV she put in not realizing that the CAT scan tech would need to do an IV also.  Okay another stick.  Thank goodness I don't bruise easily.   They then said come back in 3 hrs.  Dan was with me of course.  He's hardly left my side since this marathon has started.  He took me to get some soup.  It helped calm down my stomach and itt helped just getting out of the hospital for awhile.
Okay so 3 hrs later, back to the hospital for my last test.  It' wasn't bad at all.  It's called a Bone Scan.  All you do is lay on a really hard table and this big box passes over the top of you.  Other than a long day I would say it went fine. 
The one thing I will say and have said since this started,  when medical staff find out you have breast cancer, probably all cancer but I only know this one,  they are the sweetest people ever.  Never a curt word, never making you feel like they don't want to be there helping you.  They make you feel like you are the only one with cancer. 
Let me also say I love my family, friends and coworkers. 
.  Cancer is a BAD thing.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking time to keep your blog up to date. Good luck with your appointment today !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how wonderful this is...I think about you throughout the day...this allows me to keep up with what is happening...and of course you are in my prayers...Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful to have you as a friend. Love you Patti!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patti...you have such a way with words...i love it...hate that this is happening but love your true sense of humor coming out despite it all....gotta love ya! mr

    ReplyDelete